What a buzz there has been around the club this pre-season as we edge closer to the start of our 2017 campaign! There has been an average of 100 players at pre-season training with 35 of these from our inaugural VAFA Women’s team, colloquially nicknamed the Sheagles.
Who would have thought six months ago that we would be ready to field a team in the inaugural VAFA Wilson Women’s Competition? Through lots of the usual hard work by some wonderful people in the Marcellin Family, we are now ready to go with our women’s team.
How exciting to have the sisters, wives, partners, daughters and friends all joining the club to play football. Some of those who have joined in are:
- Maggie Antypas who has been running the boundary and water for the seniors joining her two brothers Jeremiah (Jez) and Will;
- Georgina and Laura Robertson sisters of the runner up in the 2016 Seniors Best & Fairest, James, who are threatening to go one better than their brother this year;
- Mara Lunn who joins her two brothers Patrick and Daniel;
- Jessica Redmond who joins her husband Daniel as the first husband and wife combination to wear the maroon, gold and blue jumper;
- Lauren King partner of Under 19s coach Simon Abrahams;
- Olivia, Ruby and Katie daughters of Club Legends and Old Boy brothers Luke and Matt Getson who are excited to see their daughters run out for their old club for the first time;
- While former President Tim Money will be cheering on his sister Jackie.
We welcome everyone who has signed up, many who have been part of our club previously as well as all newcomers. It is great having you as part of our club and we would encourage any others thinking of joining to come down for a kick.
Our Aspirational Goal
Now that we have the players to field a side, we want to make sure they have all the equipment, apparel and support to make sure this is a positive, rewarding and successful experience. Our Aspirational Goal for 2017 as a Committee and a Club is to ensure that we fully fund the creation of our new Women’s team.
It might come as a surprise to many, that the cost of fielding a new team is approximately $25,000 by the time we pay for player jumpers, shorts, socks, equipment, VAFA affiliation fees, trainers etc.
The Committee has proactively sought to fund this cost via State Government and AFL grants as well as seeking external sponsors, but this only gets us part of the way. We are calling on all members and supporters to help us achieve Our Aspirational Goal by making a tax deductible donation via the Australian Sports Foundation that will go directly towards funding our first Women’s team.
Donations can be made via by clicking on the below donate button (anonymously if you wish)
We hope that you can get behind our girls and make 2017 the start of a legacy. In the coming weeks we will give you more of a snapshot into who the girls are but in the meantime, if you would like to see more pictures of our girls in action head to our Facebook page Marcellin Old Collegians Football Club